So welcome Pottermore.com, the Harry Potter site that launched this weekend.
We're certainly proud to have worked as the core legal team on the new site. Our work included contract negotiations with all initial suppliers and partners (Sony Corporation) and crafting the innovative international compliance programme.
In my view, Pottermore.com is going to be significant in many ways:
- it will show how online transforms the author-reader relationship into a multi-dimensional digital community which engages author with readers and readers with readers.
- it will show how the author-publisher-reader relationship, which remains at the core of publishing, is expressed in new online business models.
- Pottermore.com points the way to the new skills - technical, creative and in consumer marketing - that publishers need to survive in the 21st century.
- it also illustrates that building collaborative relationships with key partners is at the heart of the new publishing model.
- and last, but not least, for lawyers working in the sector, it challenges us to devise practical legal solutions to reconcile national laws with a borderless medium.
Have a good week